In our household, oatmeal is a staple. Every day, there is a bowl of oatmeal being made-whether it’s for breakfast, lunch or snack……. it has probably been served for dinner once or twice. My husband is the biggest oat fan though. He’ll bring a bag of oats with him to work because it’s an easy go to meal when you’re short on time- this man works a lot and oatmeal is what fuels his 6’7 body during those 10-16 hour work days!
Nutritional Profile on Oats
- Oats are a great source of minerals like manganese, selenium, phosphorous, magnesium and iron.
- They are a great source of fibre. Aside from keeping us regular, soluble fibre can be beneficial in the prevention of heart disease; soluble fibre brings excess cholesterol particles with it during its journey out of the body.
- Oats are great for blood sugar stability. But, if your eating the instant prepackaged oats that come with sugar, it’ll have the opposite effect.
- They are a great source of plant protein- 10 grams per cup of (uncooked) oatmeal. With all the add ins, the Chocolate PB Oatmeal Bowl contains 23 grams of protein! This recipe is an adapted version of our family favorite oatmeal bowl, created for my youngest….. she wont eat oatmeal any other way, go figure.
Chocolate PB Oatmeal Bowl
1 large serving
1 cup rolled oats, GF
1/4 cup soy milk or your favorite milk alternative
2 Tbsp good quality cocoa powder
1 Tbsp maple syrup or one package of stevia
1 Tbsp natural peanut butter
pinch of sea salt if you’re using unsalted peanut butter
1 banana, sliced
3 Tbsp pumpkin seeds
3 Tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes
optional, hemp hearts and slivered almonds
1.Cook your oatmeal as directed on the package.
2. Add in your peanut butter, cocoa powder, maple syrup and milk. Stir until combined.
3. Add your toppings/add ins how ever you desire.
Hope you enjoy this warm bowl of chocolatey oats as much as we do 🙂